This is my favorite soup of the season! The flavors are so bold, but yet its a light soup.
Serve with crusty rolls or paninis.
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (20-ounce) tube frozen creamed corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- Garnishes: thinly sliced jalapeño pepper strips, ground black pepper
Southern Living 2003Are y'all ready for Christmas?? I am! Here is a picture of us in Vegas a few weeks ago. The decorations were fab!
- Broil poblano pepper halves, skin side up, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 6 inches from heat 5 to 6 minutes or until pepper looks blistered. Fold aluminum foil over pepper to seal, and let stand 10 minutes. Peel pepper; remove and discard seeds. Coarsely chop pepper; set aside.
- Bring creamed corn and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring mixture constantly. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups chicken broth into mixture. Whisk in softened cream cheese and chopped poblano pepper; cook, whisking often, 5 minutes or until cream cheese melts and mixture is thoroughly heated. Whisk in additional chicken broth, if necessary, to reach desired consistency; garnish, if desired. Serve chowder immediately.